Thanks for visiting! I'm a year-round storm chaser and photographer covering St. Louis, the Midwest, the Great Plains and beyond. I've spent weeks on the road for the last 20 years, driving thousands of miles in all types of weather, and plan to do it for as long as I'm able. My goal is to capture nature's dramatic side, and in doing so, provide you with the perfect image for your home, office or business. I specialize in photography of tornadoes, lightning, St. Louis, MO and the Gateway Arch, storms and all types of extreme weather.
I have all of my storm chasing imagery, video and and accounts organized by year and by category in my chase logs section. You can also browse images in the photo gallery section and videos in the stock footage section of the site. My video collection can also be viewed on the Youtube channel.
The longest-running section of this site is the Severe Weather Educational Library section, containing numerous articles about lightning, storms and related phenomena.
Quick Links to Popular Pages
Lunar Eclipse "Bood Moon" & the Gateway Arch - The total lunar eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
The El Reno, OK tornado of May 31, 2013 - A detailed account of the EF-5 El Reno, Oklahoma tornado of May 31, 2013, including video, images and other data.
Can lightning strike the same place twice? - Busting this myth with some help from the Mythbusters themselves!
Winter lightning and thundersnow - All about lightning and severe storms in the winter, even during snow!
Follow and Connect
I'd love to connect with you on social media! Follow the Facebook page, the Twitter feed or the Blog RSS/XML feed to keep up with the latest updates.
Some frustrating developments over the past 24 hours have thrown this system's potential into question. On Saturday, models develop much weaker instability, a stronger cap and delayed upper support - meaning that storms may not fire at all until well after dark. Sunday's setup is severely lacking in instability and is shown firing too early. These changes are bad enough that I have no choice but to reduce trip probabilities.
If storms can fire on Saturday in Kansas/Okahoma, they will be worth the trip. It may not be a question that can be answered until 5PM (storm initiation time) on that day, unfortunately. Currently my plan is to go back to standby mode until Saturday morning, when a final departure decision will be made at the last possible moment. That's the best I can hope for, unless future models can help resolve the question. Sunday's lack of instability also makes it doubtful to be a worthy of a drive to even western or central Missouri. It too may need to be evaluated on the morning of the day as to whether it will be deserving of the trip.